This recipe should seriously warm you up after a chilly day (couldn’t resist the pun, sorry!!). It’s so chunky and delicious I couldn’t stop serving myself bowlful after bowlful! Feel free to adapt the recipe to your dietary needs but this is vegan 🙂
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium bell peppers (one green one red or yellow)
- 2 28oz cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup puy lentils, washed (or 1 more can kidney/pinto/black beans)
- 1 28oz tin chopped tomatoes with liquid
- 1 16 oz carton pasata
- 2 sticks celery, washed and chopped into little Cs
- 2 carrots, peeled chopped into circular chunks
- 5-6 big mushrooms or 8-10 mini ones chopped chunkily
- 1 tsp vecon stock paste (optional – this one has no oils/salts or animal by products so that’s why I used it)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano (or use mixed herbs)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- Optional extras: 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped, one aubergine, chopped chunkily.
Sauté the onion and garlic in water/lemon juice/olive oil on high heat until browned and the flavour has come out, then add the spices.
Add all of the chopped veggies and stir for a couple of minutes. Add the spices and stir around so they have time to be absorbed by the veggies. If it looks a little dry then add the tinned tomatoes.
Add the tinned tomatoes and pasata and turn the heat down to medium-low. Add the oregano).
Leave cooking on low heat until the lentils are cooked through.
Serve over a baked potato or rice.
Alternatively, you can just throw all of the ingredients into a slow cooker/rice cooker/ instant pot and it will do the work for you!!! For the instant pot I put it in and pressed ‘rice’ and then left it on the keep warm setting for another 10-30 minutes.